Sunday, January 15, 2012

Your Case Is Important

My first year in law school I had the opportunity to learn from one of the most intelligent and difficult professors at the University of Oklahoma College of Law. This professor taught me Constitutional Law and Criminal Law.  I learned a great deal in his classes, but nothing as insightful as one comment he made.  He made this comment more than once and it has never left me. This one comment has driven how I practice law every day.

On more than one occasion he said  “As a lawyer, you may have many cases, but each client’s case is the most important thing going on in his or her life.”  I have never forgotten this.

It’s true, I have many cases.  But I am a family law attorney.  Each case I have deals with the most important aspect of a person’s life: his or her family.  There is nothing more personal, more all-consuming, or more stressful.  As I work on my clients’ cases, I try to keep in mind there is nothing more critical happening in that person’s life than their divorce, or the enforcement of child support, or their adoption.

This one tidbit my law professor shared with his class years ago has stayed with me and drives how I manage every case, how I work with every client, and how The Decker Law Firm operates. I always ask myself if it were my divorce, how would I want my lawyer to handle it.  As an attorney it is important for me to recognize that this isn’t just a job it’s about my client’s future. I never take my duties lightly; it’s just too important to my clients.


Ami J. Decker
www.famlawtex.com

No comments:

Post a Comment